We are always looking for talent! If you think you would be a great fit for the Melanie Casey team, please submit your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with a cover letter explaining your unique qualifications.
Bench Jeweler - Off-Site Team
Work from home part-time! Join our talented team of bench jewelers from anywhere in the USA! After years of receiving messages from talented jewelers from across the country who wished they could apply for our open positions but were unable to relocate, we finally have an answer. We are hiring a team of jewelers who will work from home!
This role is flexible! We can send you as much or as little work as you’d like in a given week. You set your hours and the amount of work you can complete by the next deadline.
- Cast clean and polish product, as trained.
- Maintain consistent quality in your work.
- Submit completed work by or ahead of set deadlines.
- Effectively communicate scheduling changes with advanced notice.
- Thorough training will be provided during a two week training intensive in North Andover, Massachusetts. Any costs associated with attending this training will be at the expense of the employee.
- This is an independent contractor position. Benefits will not be offered.
- Our off-site jewelers will be required to purchase and maintain their own bench and tools if they do not already have them. Tools and materials costs will not be refunded.
- Must have at least 4 years of professional experience working with fine jewelry.
- Degree or completed certificate in metalsmithing is required.
- Candidates must be located in the USA, with access to a computer.
- Must have a bench with a flex shaft in your home-based studio. A torch will not be a requirement.
- Self-driven and organized.
- Able to meet deadlines.
- Must have a long-term commitment to this position.
- Background checks and reference calls will be completed prior to acceptance for this position.
We perform all stone setting, sizing, and assembly in-house. Due to the limitations of training off-site staff, there will not be an opportunity for additional responsibilities and training beyond those listed above. If you are looking for a more robust opportunity with lots of training and stone setting, please apply to our full-time Bench Jeweler role in our Massachusetts-based manufacturing facility!
To apply, please submit an updated resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Please include photos of jewelry you have made and a description of how you executed each piece.
Bench Jeweler - Full-Time, Goldsmith and Stone Setter
- Gold soldering
- Casting cleaning and polishing
- Stone setting: flush, bezel, prong
- Ability to undercut seats in challenging small settings.
- Ring resizing
- Professional experience as a bench jeweler is required
Our fine jewelry collection is entirely handmade here in our North Andover, Mass studio. We work in 14k gold and occasionally work with platinum. Training will be provided for our tricky and delicate product line. We believe in the benefits of technology and quality tools to produce the best possible quality of craftsmanship, so our jewelers have access to some of the best technology in the industry. We operate in a paperless environment with each jeweler working from their own dedicated iPad, and we are always looking to become more streamlined and productive.
Bench Jeweler - Full-Time, Entry Level
- Gold soldering
- Ring resizing
- Sprue removal
- Cleaning and polishing castings
- Willingness to learn and adapt to a fast-paced production environment
Bench Jeweler Apprenticeship - Full-Time
Bench Jeweler Apprenticeship
Do you possess a fine eye for detail and an immense amount of patience? If you have always wanted to be a bench jeweler but lack the education and training to make your dream a reality, Melanie Casey invites you to apply to be our Bench Jeweler. This is a paid position, with a year-long training commitment before the bench apprenticeship begins, in our studio in North Andover, Mass.
At the start of your work here, you will be our Wash Out Specialist, taking charge of cleaning the jewelry, maintaining our polishing and cleaning equipment, and working with our polishing machine, the Murua machine. This is a very challenging task, and most suited to someone with a lot of patience and attention to detail.
As you work for one year as the Wash Out Specialist, you will have access to all of our shop tools - including your very own bench. After hours, you are encouraged to explore the craft of fine jewelry making and refine your skills. You will also have access to the knowledge and many years of experience of our fine jewelers, including Melanie herself. You will be able to sit in on all quality control meetings and demonstrations in our studio. The goal is for you to learn, practice, ask questions, and refine your making skills until you are ready to move on from Wash Out Specialist and into a bench jeweler apprenticeship at the conclusion of the year. If we determine that you are ready, we will invite you to join the team as a full-time bench jeweler.
- You do not need to have any professional experience or education with jewelry. This is an opportunity to fast-track that process and learn.
- You must have a previous interest in jewelry making. If you have taken a class or two relating to jewelry or metal fabrication and know you love fussy, detailed work, this may be a great position for you. This is not a design job, and you will not be designing pieces - you will be learning how to make them.
- Knowledge of the skills required for jewelry making
- Extreme attention to detail
- Able to manage chaos
- Enjoy repetitive tasks
- Patient and able to manage demanding projects
- Able to handle chemicals and small parts in a safe and organized manner
- Responds well to constructive criticism
- Flexible and able to adapt to an ever-changing workflow
To start the application process, please answer the following questions and submit it along with a cover letter, resume, and references to firstname.lastname@example.org. We will be performing background checks on candidates, and will require one written recommendation during the second phase of the application process.
- What makes you interested in our Wash Out Specialist/Bench Jeweler Apprenticeship Program?
- What skills and abilities do you have that will be uniquely suited to this position?
- Please describe examples in your professional or personal life in which you exhibited patience, perseverance, and a drive for success.